With millions of babies being aborted, countless miscarriages occurring daily, numerous stillborns globally, and other tragic deaths of small children taking place all the time, it is an important and incredibly comforting truth to embrace that all babies go to heaven.
Take a look at six Bible evidences for why all babies go to heaven when they die. These are not in order of importance or weight. Each may perhaps hold a different weight of validity.
- God spared an entire city because of more than 120,000 small children in the Bible. He said that they didn’t know their right hand from their left (Jonah 4:11). If they didn’t know the difference between their hands, they certainly didn’t understand sin or the need for a Savior in Jesus. They couldn’t be held accountable for their sin and neither can small children today.
- God’s wrath is upon those who look at creation and refuse to submit to the Creator (Romans 1:18-20). Sinners remain condemned for willful rejection of the truth of a Creator and/or willful rejection of the truth of Him being the Savior Jesus Christ. Infants cannot look at creation and process the souls reality of being created, therefore, they have an excuse. There is no willful rejection of the Creator and/or the Savior Jesus Christ by infants. They cannot even process it. I believe this is not just a reality for infants, but also for all mentally handicapped individuals who cannot look at creation and process the reality of a Creator or a Savior. They are not held accountable for their sin.
- God made it clear in a case study that He wrote in the Bible that babies go to heaven. In 2 Samuel 12:15-23, we read about a man after God’s own heart, David, praying for his dying baby. The baby died and David said, “I shall go to him, but he will not return to me” (2 Samuel12:23). Scripture tells us that David went to be with God when he died. Therefore, this case study from God tells us that David’s baby went to heaven at death. All babies go to heaven at death.
- God tells us that we are sinners from the womb (Psalm 51:5), but God is intricately involved in forming us in the womb (Psalm 139:13), and He has the power to save individuals in the womb (Psalm 22:9-10; Isaiah 49:1; Jeremiah 1:4-5; Luke 1:15)! The Bible makes it clear in those passages that God has saved people in the womb and I believe He saves those in the womb who never make it out.
- Jesus made a strong case for infants going to heaven in Luke 18:15-16. Read those verses and believe what Jesus said!!! Infants or little children all go to heaven!
- God spoke of the little ones, the children of Israel, having no knowledge of good or evil in the Bible. He continued by saying that they had not reached an age of understanding sin (Deuteronomy 1:39). Will God punish someone He created who has no knowledge of good or evil? Absolutely not!!! They go to heaven!
I believe in universal infant salvation. I believe that heaven is full of children. I believe that every aborted baby is in the presence of God. I believe that every stillborn is being held by God at this very moment. I believe that God forms every single person in the womb. For a reason that only He knows, He stops forming some and brings them into His loving embrace. We call it a miscarriage, but maybe it’s God mission to carry them home.
I encourage you to name unborn children. I believe that their names are written in the registry of heaven, the Lamb’s Book of Life (Revelation 21:27). They have a name in heaven!
Finally, encourage the masses with these comforting truths from God. Share this with others! Many people are impacted in one way or another by the death of children. You have a great opportunity to tell them about Jesus! He can reunite them with their loved one! “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved” (Romans 10:13).
Don Jennings III is the Pastor of Training and Membership at Bethesda Baptist Church (Brownsburg, IN). His published works include The Gifts from God, Seeking the True God, and God’s Blueprint for Marriage. Follow him on Facebook, here.
**Editor’s Note: For more on this topic, view this brief video from John Piper.**